[OPLINTECH] Another virus related spam issue, but a new solution

Karl Jendretzky jendreka at oplin.org
Mon May 4 11:33:50 EDT 2009

All,
    I was greeted this morning with yet another infected library machine
using the OPLIN mail server as a spam cannon. I've already spoken to the
library, and if any details come up that could be useful to the group,
we'll let you know.

With increased virus activity out in the libraries, I'm trying to find
the best way to lock down our services, while still providing access for
library staff. At this point I think the best way for me to prevent
exploits like this, while still allowing libraries to use our server as
a relay for their ILS notices, is by allowing relaying based partly off
of the "from" address.

If you are using the OPLIN mail server as a relay, and the mail is
coming from an email address that isn't @oplin.org, I need you to shoot
either myself, or OPLIN support an email letting us know what address,
or at least domain the emails are coming from. My thought is that going
this direction, I can stop the phishing emails, while not requiring
anyone in the network to reconfigure their ILS setup.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

    Karl Jendretzky
    Technology Project Manager
    Ohio Public Library Information Network
    jendreka at oplin.org