[OPLINTECH] GCPL: Any interest in a Linux (Ubuntu) workshop?

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu May 28 14:33:43 EDT 2009

I'd like to float a trial balloon to gauge interest in an all-day Linux/Ubuntu workshop.
The tentative outline is:

1.       To be held in Xenia on July 8

2.       Two levels of registration:

a.       Participants get a computer        $150

b.      Participants bring a computer     $75

c.       Additional participant                     $25

3.       Course covers:

a.       Installing a Linux distro

b.      Configuring a staff user

c.       Configuring a public user

d.      Options of children

e.      Making it work with filters, print management, reservation software

f.        Making it work with Windows programs

4.       Linux at the server  level (lunch speaker)

5.       Public computers in a client/server environment

6.       Pre-configured distros a.k.a Groovix

Seating would be limited to 12 participants or 12 teams. For your money you get lunch and two snacks and/or a fairly nice computer.

Not to editorialize but I figure as we look at library funding cuts for the rest of 2009 and 2010 it might not be a bad idea to have a Plan B for keeping your computer inventory alive for a couple more years.

Reply to the list and let me know what you think.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.
Xenia Ohio 45385
(937)352-4000 x1210
mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.