[OPLINTECH] Creating a public desktop environment

Jim Lack J.Lack at rrpl.org
Mon Nov 23 11:28:12 EST 2009

We currently have 22 public computers used for Internet access and
desktop applications.  The computers are running XP and are controlled
by Pharos Print and Time management system. In the future, we'll be
moving to Windows 7 and possibly another Management system, i.e. Cassie
or others.  We also use Windows Steady State to bring the computers back
to their "original" state.  We have a partition on the disk to allow
patrons to save stuff and upon reboot, the info is deleted from the
partition. Applications currently on these computers are:

IE7

Firefox

Word 2003 suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access)

Open Office

Picasa

Windows Media Player

We are thinking of redoing our user profile and I'm looking for ideas as
how others configure their public computers.

How much access do you give the users on the computers? i.e. allow
access to files on the computer or file structure?

Do you let them download to the computers?

How do you manage the computers? i.e thru group policy?, in work groups
using Steady State or deep freeze?

What applications do you put on the computers for public use?  i.e.
iTunes, photo editing s/w (and which ones), ect....

I think a lot of patrons feel that they can do just about anything on a
public computer that they can on their own home computers.  I'd like to
get as close to that as possible without creating any type of security
issues.

Your input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim Lack