[OPLINTECH] Gateway/mpc wake on lan

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Mon Oct 26 14:12:27 EDT 2009

Hi All,

   I've been butting my head against the wall on this one long enough and
thought maybe someone out there might be able to help me.

I've been trying to setup wake on lan and have had mixed success. We have
some Dells, and some Gateway/MPCs.  No problems with the Dells. No problems
with some of the Gateways but, they are from 2 different years. The ones in
question are E-2610Ds with the Broadcom Nextreme gigabit nics. They have a
boot agent installed to allow configuration during the boot process by
pressing ctrl + s. When I enable "Pre-boot on lan" and press F4 to save it
looks good but, upon reboot the config has changed back to disabled. I've
set the BIOS to allow WOL.  Maybe, I'm barking up the wrong tree as I'm new
to WOL. I've installed the latest drivers (had to, to get the configuration
for WOL in the NICs drivers). I've made sure that the power options allowed
for the NIC to wake it up. Gateway's support stinks especially for MPC
products but, I suppose I should be grateful that they are providing any
support at all after MPC went bankrupt. Any assistance would be helpful.

BTW, I have Wake on LAN & IH WOL installed on my PC to send the magic
packets. IH WOL has network discovery, allows packets to be sent to multiple
computers at once, and keeps the MAC & IP addresses so they don't have to be
hand typed every time. Pretty nice.

TIA,

Dan Will

Technology Supervisor

Meigs County District Public Library

 <mailto:willda at oplin.org> willda at oplin.org

740.992.5813

740.992.6140 (fax)

MCDPL

The difference between fiction and reality?

Fiction has to make sense.

Tom Clancy