[OPLINTECH] GCPL: Old computer challenge

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Fri Sep 11 11:03:17 EDT 2009

I have an "old" computer challenge that I'd like some suggestions from the well of your collective wisdom. Here's the challenge:

1.       You have 50 Compaq PIII 800mhz computers.

2.       The computers have 256mb RAM

3.       The computers have 10gig hard drives

4.       The computers have a CD player

5.       The computers have a Win 2000 COA

6.       All of the above may or may not be in working condition
The intended audience for these computers is either persons with disabilities or persons with Autism.
Short of pulling the RAM and selling it on eBay and recycling the rest of the computer how would you configure them?

1.       What O/S?

2.       What "office" product

3.       Are they internet ready and how?
Not library related, but I'd like some thoughts before I start to tackle this project.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.
Xenia Ohio 45385
(937)352-4000 x1210
mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.