[OPLINTECH] GCPL: Old computer challenge

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Sep 11 11:12:59 EDT 2009

Sounds like a Linux solution could be an option. 256MB RAM seems a bit
slim for even Win2K with all updates installed, let alone running a big
program like an "office" product on top of it.

Perhaps a flavor using the Gnome desktop and the Gnome Accessibility
project might be useful. (http://projects.gnome.org/accessibility) Then
perhaps OpenOffice...
If no onboard NIC, then maybe adding a PCMCIA NIC or USB (if available!)
NIC could get you to the Internet.

Google "Linux disabilities" for some useful links such as:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Accessibility-HOWTO

Aside from that, perhaps sell the whole lot as-is on e-bay and re-invest
the proceeds in your disabilities hardware/software...

Good luck!

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --