[OPLINTECH] GCPL: Old computer challenge

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Fri Sep 11 12:12:30 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 11:03 -0400, Mann, James H. wrote:
> I have an “old” computer challenge that I’d like some suggestions from
> the well of your collective wisdom. Here’s the challenge:
>
> 1.      You have 50 Compaq PIII 800mhz computers.
>
> 2.      The computers have 256mb RAM
>
> 3.      The computers have 10gig hard drives
>
> 4.      The computers have a CD player
>
> 5.      The computers have a Win 2000 COA
>
> 6.      All of the above may or may not be in working condition
>
> The intended audience for these computers is either persons with
> disabilities or persons with Autism.
>
> Short of pulling the RAM and selling it on eBay and recycling the rest
> of the computer how would you configure them?
>
> 1.      What O/S?
A linux distro that meets the needs of the users.

> 2.      What “office” product
One that is supported with the chosen distribution and meets the needs
of the users.

> 3.      Are they internet ready and how?
Depends on the hardware, (if they have functioning NIC cards) and type
of Internet connection (dial-up or Broadband).

> Not library related, but I’d like some thoughts before I start to
> tackle this project.
>

> Jim Mann
>
> Technology Coordinator
>
> Greene County Public Library
>
> 76 E. Market St.
>
> Xenia Ohio 45385
>
> (937)352-4000 x1210
>
> mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
>
> "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast
> enough." - Mario Andretti.

Are they desktops or laptops?
With 256 meg of ram and only 10 gigs of hard drive space, I would look
at a lighter linux distribution that would meet your needs. Maybe
something with the xfce desktop environment. http://xubuntu.org uses the
xfce desktop and is based from Ubuntu. Puppy linux http://puppylinux.org
is really small.
If you go with a linux distribution you would have to find one that
would meet the needs of the users and see how it compares with what is
available for windows 2000 that will meet their needs as well. Then test
it with the hardware.

>From a hardware perspective, if the computers are going to be maintained
for several years and have the hard drives replaced, I would be
concerned with the future availability of IDE/PATA hard drives assuming
that is what they use.
Would there be a way to combine the hardware from 2 machines into one?
That could make a machine with 512 megs of ram and 20 gigs of hard drive
space, also taking the number of available computers down from 50 to 25.

Also, could the project be something that could be partnered with
FreeGeek in Columbus?  http://freegeekcolumbus.org
They offer hardware grants for non-profits

I hope this helps!

--
-Ed Liddle

Technology Assistant
Marysville Public Library
231 S Plum Street, Marysville, Ohio 43040
937-642-1876 ext. 45