[OPLINTECH] free schematic drawing software?

Marlene Pelyhes mpl_marlenep at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 12:06:08 EDT 2009

Hi

Thanks to all for the quick responses on free drawing software!

Here is a summary : (along with the Visio/smartdraw at the bottom)
----------------
Anyone who was part of the original Gates grant got a free copy of Visio in their software binder.
------------
http://osalt.com. Open Source Alternatives to commercial software.
-------------
Network Notepad is pretty good.
--------------

I decided to try techsoup.org - and was excited about the Visio offering for $22 until I read in the small print that I would have to make it available to the public - booyah!  the ref librarians would have a
time showing folks that one. (not that anyone would ask for help)

so I am getting a price from Educational Resources.
we have contracted a network consultant and they use it so
I may as well use what has already been done and take it from there.

here is the small print from techsoup if anyone is interested...

#
Public libraries:

Qualified public libraries may request Microsoft software donations through this program for public access computers only (donated software may not be used for back-office or other administration purposes, unless the public computers are on a shared network which also hosts the personal computers of library staff). Participating libraries must also make their collection and basic services available to the population of their legal service area without charges to individual users (excluding incidental fees such as printing charges). If they so choose, libraries may impose charges on users outside the legal service area, and may provide products and services (beyond basic services), to the public at large, with or without individual charges.

and again,
with grateful thoughts,
Marlene