[OPLINTECH] Moskowitz on demise of Windows Steady State

Chip Kruthoffer c.kruthoffer at lanepl.org
Tue Dec 14 11:47:05 EST 2010

This note below about Windows Steady State from GPO Guru Jeremy Moskowitz
might be of interest to OPLINTECH readers.

Chip Kruthoffer, Systems Manager
Lane Libraries ~ http://www.lanepl.org
1396 University Blvd. (Admin. Center)
Hamilton, Ohio 45011
Phone: (513) 785-2706 ~ Fax: (513) 894-6558
Email: c.kruthoffer at lanepl.org

Next up.. Sayonara SteadyState...

One of my favorite Windows freebies is going away.

Windows SteadyState's job was to take an XP or Vista machine and "lock it
down" so any changes to the disk are thrown out. What's the advantage? No
matter what "evil stuff" happens on that machine, it's <poof> gone after a
reboot.

So, SteadyState wasn't ever upgraded to Windows 7, and, well, it seems like
it's curtains for SteadyState. That's too bad.. I really loved it. Indeed,
it's only downloadable until the end of the year. But that doesn't mean you
can't USE IT as long as you want to. True, it's only going to be SUPPORTED
for another year (until Dec 31st, 2011). But, heck, I expect us to still be
using Windows XP in some circumstances even by then.

So, here are some thoughts:

- Download SteadyState 2.5 until the end of the year. Here's where:
http://tinyurl.com/23eqyb8
- Download my free eChapter on SteadyState here:
http://www.gpanswers.com/books/extra-echapters.html
(Left column, third entry down.) Not going away anytime soon.

If you're looking for a more modern replacement:

-Faronics Deepfreeze is a good commercial choice. Use this link to check it
out:

https://moskowitzinc.infusionsoft.com/link/3bdf635720/1173c60

-Download Wioski ..the awesome tool with the funny name. It's a free
SteadyState-like replacement. Check it out:
www.Wioski.com <http://www.wioski.com/>.

I'll do some more discussions about Wioski in the future, but I would watch
the "Getting Started Video" to understand how it works if you need to get a
grip on it quickly.

That's it Team. Talk soon !

Jeremy Moskowitz
GPanswers.com (Group Policy Community)