[OPLINTECH] Wireless Access for Patrons

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Mon Dec 13 15:42:47 EST 2010

Wireless is wide open 24/7/365 , we broadcast the SSID, no yearly cost to us.

I pulled the following from previous emails as to what we do.

We have a Linksys WAP55AG & a WRT54G connected to a 10Mbps hub.
The hub connects to a virtual pc running ZoneCD (free version of PUBLICip)
It's output goes to the Red zone of IPCop (also running on a virtual pc)

We setup the ZoneCD to display a copy of the library policy.
You need to accept it to go on.

It may seem a bit convoluted but we can log the first connection per day by a
wireless device.

The wireless goes through ZoneCD which provides a 10.10.10.x  IP to them and
serves a policy page.
When the page is acknowledged ZoneCD always sends the first request through
IPCop to our website.
(ZoneCD has a fixed IP of 10.10.10.1)

Webalizer logs the referrer IP in the report so we only need to look for the
correct IP.
(Example from a few minutes ago)        *** Long ago today****
Top 30 of 117 Total Referrers
#           Hits            Referrer
24    60    0.05% http://10.10.10.1/

This indicates there have been 60 wireless connections.this month.

Last month's was
17    270    0.08% http://10.10.10.1/
The high was probably a result of the central Ohio area week long power outage.

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074