[OPLINTECH] Purchasing new PCs

Josh Proffit jproffit at lickingcountylibrary.info
Wed Feb 3 15:55:51 EST 2010

Although I've never used AMD in a work type of atmosphere before, I've
owned several in the past for personal use...They seem to work just fine
without any noticeable difference -unless you're trying to run 15
different executables at once. Since library workstations rarely run
multiple programs these days -typically an ILS, email and a browser-
Sure, I don't see why not use AMD in some workstations.

As far as the flash drive vs DVD writer issue...flash drives get my
vote. They are ALOT cheaper these days and last a whole lot longer than
DVDs getting thrown about. Replacement cost for a flash drive is what?
$8-$20 for anything ranging from 1GB to 8GB? Versus a spindle of 50
DVD-Rs for $20 or if the DVD writer decides to fail, replacement cost of
around $30 per device. Yup, just throw regular DVD ROMs in those
machines.

Just my thoughts.

Joshua Proffit

System Administrator