[OPLINTECH] Purchasing new PCs

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Wed Feb 3 16:22:01 EST 2010

I went with AMD on the last round of computer purchases.  I've never had any
issues with AMD and since I don't have any programs in use here that push
processors hard I couldn't come up with any reason to worry one way or the
other.  I prefer Intel at home, but that's because I play graphic intensive
games and lots of games (at least used to) make use of special Intel
optimizations.  Old habits die hard =)  Tom's Hardware Guide is a pretty
decent place to get comparisons and performance-price comparisons.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/benchmar
ks,60.html

I put DVD burners in the new computers as well since we occasionally have
patrons that want them.  Most use flash drives, but sometimes folks do
things like bring in cameras looking to empty out the device.  They could
put those images on a flash drive, but flash drives (to me) tend to be used
for data mobility more than permanent storage.  Flash drives have a low
failure rate, but I always worry when I see a staffer here using them as
permanent storage.  The magic of burned discs tends to be cheap redundancy
and the ability to give a large quantity of data away to a friend or family
member.  "Can I copy my vacation photos here?"

Travis McAfee

Systems Administrator

Way Public Library

101 E. Indiana Ave.