[OPLINTECH] Purchasing new PCs

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu Feb 4 08:22:28 EST 2010

I'm buying Dell Optiplex 740 for public workstations. AMD 64 with DVD/RW, floppy and an XP downgrade. We have more than 100 of them in service and have had no problems from a hardware standpoint.
Paying $740 with a 20" LCD based on a recent quote in prep of staff computer upgrades.
Honestly I'm not really sure a patron computer even needs an optical drive. Our patrons all seem to have adapted to bringing in their own USB drives.
No offense to anyone, and as much as I love to build them on weekends, I would recommend sticking with a name-brand computer for staff and public use.
IMHO

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library