[OPLINTECH] Lease vs Buy computer workstations

Mike Hensel henselmi at oplin.org
Tue Jan 26 09:21:46 EST 2010

Marlene:

We lease our computers from Dell and then have the buyout option at the end
so when the lease is up we purchase the computers for a $1.  If we lease
around 11 computers we end up paying for 11 1/2 computers when the interest
is included in the price.  The advantage is we spread the cost out over
three years plus it fits nicely into our replacement rotation which is
basically every six years. If we don't hold on to the computers we just give
them to the Friends group who turns around and sells them and then supports
the library in another way.   In the end, any interest paid out is recouped
many times over by donations from the Friends. If you decide not to do the
buyout option the price per unit goes down but you will be responsible for
shipping the computers back when the lease is up which really makes it 1.) a
hassle 2.) fiscally not worth it.

Here's contact information on our Government sales representative who covers
Ohio.

SALES REP:     BRYAN ANDERSON PHONE:     1-866-302-7457

Email Address:     Bryan_Anderson at Dell.com
Phone Ext:     7250013

Hope this helps!

Mike Hensel
Youth Services Librarian, MLIS