[OPLINTECH] Student access issues with Linux...

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Wed Jan 27 10:42:06 EST 2010

Hello everyone,

This is a question for all of you who have switched patron systems over
to Linux...

I have switched all of our patron access computers over to Kubuntu 8.10
(instead of 9.x because we use AdminKioskTool). But we are having an
issue with to college sites when it comes to tests; Sinclair and Edison.
Firefox is asking for missing plug-ins but can not identify them. I
checked both colleges websites for what the requirements to access their
online courses were, two things pop out at me; First, they claim to
require Shockwave; Secondly, they state the need of a Mac or Windows
environment. Shockwave is unavailable for Linux (Without running Firefox
in WINE with Shockwave, causes big issues). The Mac/Win environment, to
me, indicates the need, possibly for activeX which also is not supported
for Linux. So having said this, am I correct in this assumtion as to why
these sites do not work? Has anyone else had this issue? and if so what
did you do about it?

Currently I am sticking with the statement of our Internet policy which
states no guarantee of anything beyond Internet access.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

--
Richard Shively
IT/Webmaster