[OPLINTECH] Student access issues with Linux...

Ron Woods woodsro at oplin.org
Wed Jan 27 11:31:24 EST 2010

Hi Richard

So far as I know, there Is no current Shockwave plug-in for Linux. As a
matter of fact, Adobe is phasing out Shockwave in favor of Flash and Adobe
Air. I do know you can run Microsoft Silverlight on Linux by installing the
Novell Moonlight Extension for Firefox(Moonlight includes full blown support
for Microsoft Silverlight which is becoming popular)

Also, sometimes sites on Linux will say they require Shockwave, but that
isn't always the case.

If your using Ubuntu you could take one system and run the following
commands from the terminal

Sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

You can also search synaptic for gstreamer-good and gstreamer-ugly which
will install a full set of codecs and plugins that will support tons of
propriety playback formats that just may solve your problem. Also if you can
install mplayer and the Mozilla-mplayer plugins as mplayer supports a good
many formats on its own.

If the above fails, then the only option is to run Firefox via Wine or a
copy of Windows in virtual box...

I have seen sites with Linux and Firefox ask for shockwave, but sometimes
its not the case...just figure its worth a shot

Worst case scenario, the above will allow you to be able to play every
proprietary multimedia format known on your Linux box....:)

Good luck

Sincerely

Ron