[OPLINTECH] Student access issues with Linux...

millerst@oplin.org millerst at oplin.org
Wed Jan 27 12:09:45 EST 2010

All,

We have run into similar issues.  We use DiscoverStations (Linux).  Some
sites, particularly Kent State's student portal, get cranky with Linux.
Kent's helpdesk has been, well, less than helpful.

In order to meet the needs of all our patrons, all of the time, before
they realize they have a need, as well as to minimize staff stress by
planning for the unexpected, we maintain a bay of Windows computers for
just such contingencies. [Yes, those are our job priorities.]

We have a policy similar to Richard's library, but policy vs reality are
two different things up here by the Lake.

Ron - thanks for the tips... I'll ask our vendor for
every-codec-under-the-sun and see if that helps us at all. :)

Steve
--
Steve Miller, Technology Coordinator
Ashtabula County District Library