[OPLINTECH] Print release software

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Mar 1 15:10:52 EST 2010

"Dan Will" <willda at oplin.org> writes:

> As long as there is a printer driver and the linux box is doing the
> rendering for the client, cups will give you an accurate page
> count.

Slick.

> If the box printing to the print server has an account (or the
> logged on user has an account), cups will tell you who has printed
> the job as well.

Ah, so if we use the same username ("Patron") for everyone, but I want
it to tell us which computer it was printed from, I just create
multiple accounts in Samba and tell each workstation to use a
different one.  That seems straightforward.

Incidentally, the hard part about getting driver-on-the-server
username/password authentication to work is on the Windows end.  If
you're logged in as Administrator, Windows XP for some odd reason
doesn't prompt you for a username and password for the remote print
share; but if you're logged in as the ordinary user, you can't install
the driver.  The trick, if I remember it correctly, is to install the
driver first as Administrator (if necessary, telling the system that
the printer is on LPT1; you can skip the test page), reboot, then
delete the local printer but don't uninstall the driver, then go to
the user account and install the network printer, and it'll ask you
for the creds, and Robert becomes avuncular in your general direction.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library