[OPLINTECH] Hearing impared

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Wed Mar 10 15:36:00 EST 2010

So you are wanting a device that others could speak into so a deaf
person could read the text, and would be portable. I assume you are
wanting this for staff communication with said deaf patrons?

If this is the case you might consider picking up an iPod Touch ($200)
and downloading Dragon Dictation (FREE!) made by Nuance. I have played
with it a little on my iPhone and it is a decent program, you definitely
need to annunciate your words though. The Dictation App just allows you
to convert speech to text in a notepad like environment and does allow
editing after speaking. Nuance also has software that you can buy for
your computers, here is their website:
http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

It looks like the computer software is more of a voice interface,
allowing you to operate several popular programs and the windows
environment by voice (as long as it doesn't start asking me why I'm
doing something I'm ok with it). So it seems to mainly be for people
without the use of their hands but could be used for what you need. The
basic edition cost about $100 dollars and they have more intensive
editions with more features, might be nice if you have some physically
impaired patrons, though I'm not to sure how well it would work in a
noisy environment.

Well I hope this is helpful.

Richard Shively
IT/Webmaster