[OPLINTECH] ClamAV for windows

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Mar 23 12:57:53 EDT 2010

Interesting.

Up to now Clam has made a name for itself mostly in server-side email
scanning.  It has a generally positive reputation for that, but AFAIK
it hasn't seen a lot of uptake elsewise.

This appears to be aimed at a somewhat broader usage profile.

However, the wording regarding how "the cloud" is used does bother me
somewhat, both for its vagueness and also because some of the claims
light up "too good to be true" warning indicators in my brain.

If the service is free, what's paying for cloud servers?  Or is it all
peer-to-peer, in which case, how does this reduce the load on your
computer?  The "Collective Immunity" thing doesn't make a whole lot of
technical sense to me either: how does locating and neutralizing one
instance of a given piece of malware automatically protect other
computers from it?  Wouldn't they still all continue to need to be
scanned for the thing, just the same as before?

Before drawing any conclusions, I'd want to see a somewhat more
information-dense description of how using "the cloud" for AV scanning
improves the process.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library