[OPLINTECH] ClamAV for windows

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Mar 23 17:37:38 EDT 2010

I haven't installed ClamAV for Windows or Immunet's free offering yet,
but I do plan to eval it soon. It looks like Immunet is
providing/funding the cloud and that ClamAV is making use of it with
Immunet's cooperation/permission.

"Immunet placed ClamAV into their Cloud infrastructure alongside their
Ethos detection engine, and several other detection technologies. By
combining all these technologies, and utilizing the power of
community-based detection, we feel we have the most effective Anti-Virus
technology on the market. And it only gets better with every user that
installs and utilizes our technology." -
http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/about/win32

I understand the why:  Immunet benefits from ClamAV's scanning engine
being a part of their cloud...It improves their own AV capabilities. I
know that $2M in venture capital invested in Immunet is funding the
cloud <http://www.immunet.com/pressreleases?id=9>. Immunet also has
provided their own free cloud-based AV product (Immunet Protect). What I
haven't figured out yet is how Immunet plans to make money. I'd have to
assume that at some point, they are going to either take away the free
product and replace it with a subscription-based version, or offer a
paid-for "enhanced version" (perhaps enterprise-level reporting and
management features?). Either way, though, I'd guess that as long as the
company survives, then the partnering with ClamAV will persist and be a
good thing.

I'd heard rumors of a cloud-based AV in the last year or so. I didn't
really understand how it works, but I'm starting to, I think. I bet it
was Immunet I had heard about.

Very promising.

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --