[OPLINTECH] Windows 7, Deep Freeze, & remote desktop

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Tue Mar 23 13:34:05 EDT 2010

Hi all,

   I'm in the process of evaluating Deep Freeze on Win7 <soapbox> (thanks MS
for killing Steady State and making us spend more money)</soapbox>.

Anyway, I've run into a problem and haven't been able to find anything about
it (yet) on the web.

Here's the setup:

.         Windows 7 Pro

.         Set in the registry

HKLM\software\Microsoft\windowsNT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Us
erList\ AdminUserName set to 0

This hides the administrative user on the logon screen

.         I set the local computer to "enumerate administrator accounts on
elevation" to enabled in the policy editor

This makes windows require the username and password box to appear when
running an administrative task (like sudo on linux)

I can log on using remote desktop just fine at this stage. If I want to add
a program or anything similar I can do it as the standard user by holding
shift and right clicking the install program and select run as another user.
If I want to log on as the admin locally, I create a short cut to regedit,
shift + right click and change the 1 to a 0 in the registry. Log off and the
administrator is listed & I can log on. I know this is going around the
horn, but I'm hoping not to have to logon locally as admin once this is
setup (except special occasions). Anyway, everything works fine at this
point.

Now to the problem. Install Deep Freeze, then try to logon as the admin in
remote desktop. Tell remote desktop that yes I want to logon and that the
local user needs to log off. At this point as soon as the local user clicks
okay or it times out (the 30 second rule) Windows 7 blue screens. Uninstall
DF and it works without problem. BTW, it doesn't matter if the drive is
frozen or not.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Deep Freeze. Am I going to
have to use TightVNC for remote access instead?

Dan Will

Technology Supervisor

Meigs County District Public Library

 <mailto:willda at oplin.org> willda at oplin.org

740.992.5813

740.992.6140 (fax)

MCDPL

The difference between fiction and reality?

Fiction has to make sense.

Tom Clancy