[OPLINTECH] Default email program on public computers

Jim Lack J.Lack at rrpl.org
Thu May 13 14:50:06 EDT 2010

Hoping someone can help me out with a problem we have on our public
computers.  We are running Windows XP and DO NOT have Outlook or Outlook
Express loaded on the computers.  When a patron is browsing the Internet
and clicks on an email link, they are prompted to setup their email
account.  A message pops up stating that Outlook Express is not their
default email program but do they want to set it up.  When you click on
no, it still proceeds in trying to set up the email program.
Eventually, an email window opens up and it looks as though they will be
able to send an email.  When they go to click send, this is not the
case.  Under "Set Program Access and Defaults", we have Custom selected.
Under "Choose a default email program, there are two choices;  Use my
current email program or Outlook Express.  Use my current email program
is selected.  Is there a way that when they click on an email address
that this process does not occur?  Appreciate any help we can get.

Thanks,

Jim Lack