[OPLINTECH] Community Library now running VMware ESXi

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri May 28 15:18:14 EDT 2010

I enjoyed Jim's overview:  "What's Old is New"  How true that is...and
not just related to virtualization. It's (almost) amusing to see a
company touting their product as a brand-new breakthrough in technology
when the tech is really a "What's Old is New" and the Old tech has been
around just long enough to fade from memory/favor or a new generation of
techies comes forth that isn't aware of the Old technology the New stuff
is based on.

(That's a particularly crummy sentence, but you get the gist of it! LOL!)

Anyway, to answer Eric's question:  When VMware came out with its New
virtualization technology, it seemed to be a head and shoulders above
the competition in its market at the time. In fact, I can't really
remember much of any major competition at the time VMware Workstation
first shipped. There were several companies that quickly arrived on the
scene, but VMware seemed to be more robust, stable, and versatile. I
used it in-house very heavily for testing; it was incredibly useful.
After a year or so, I started using VMware to run the company's servers.
About a year after that, I started using it at my library clients, which
saved a lot of money in hardware.

Bottom line:  I've been using it for more years than I care to count out
and it's proven to be very stable and very robust. The company seems to
be a "best in class" company. It's hugely cost effective. At the level
of software my libraries need...it's free. And easy to set up. And I
like it.

Hope this answered your question, Eric.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --