[OPLINTECH] CIPA Compliance:

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Nov 22 18:53:17 EST 2010

You're absolutely correct. According to the website, DansGuardian is
Open Source Software licensed under the GPL version 2 and is
downloadable from the website at no cost for non-commercial use.

I think of computers as being a three legged stool. One leg is hardware;
one leg is software; and one leg is technical services
(configuration/support time). Aside from using virtual machines and
maybe thin clients in strategic locations, hardware has to be paid for.
If you're knowledgeable in whatever it is you need to configure/support,
you might be able to reduce the cost of technical services to just the
cost of your own time. Software is about the only cost we can truly
eliminate in some select cases.

To answer your question:  The software may be free, but there is still
two other legs of the stool to pay for.

Also, you mentioned block list subscriptions. Personally, I've found
that it works perfectly fine (great, even) without additional
subscription-based block lists. I wouldn't bother unless you set it up
and find the basic system lacking. Give it a try; I think you'll be
happy with the results!

Hope this helps,

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/