[OPLINTECH] MS Office 7 issues

Lynne Welch welchly at oplin.org
Wed Oct 20 12:50:51 EDT 2010

Hello colleagues,

We just upgraded our public computers from Microsoft Office 2000 to MS
Office 2007, with an option to go to Office 2010.

Since we serve a population that doesn't use computers on a regular
basis, we previously set up our Windows profiles (using Server 2003) to
allow saving to the desktop but not to My Documents or anywhere else on
the C:\ drive. They could also save to floppy or USB. Our CASSIE
pc/print management system would then delete all items on the desktop
each time a person exited the system.

Now, however, (and I'm not sure if it's related to switching our domain
controller over to Server 2008, or switching our public workstations to
Office 2007; they were done within the same timeframe) we have lost the
ability to save to our desktops - in the MS Office suite of programs
only! We can still save to the desktop if we use WordPad.

Has anyone else experienced this situation, and how did you resolve it?
Currently we're trying a "tempsave" shared folder on the C:\ drive, but
it's a lot more trouble than saving to and retrieving from the desktop,
and I'd really like to make this as easy as possible for our people.

Thanks ~

Lynne Welch
Herrick Memorial Library
Wellington, OH, USA