[OPLINTECH] Eval of HP or Dell

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Oct 28 14:24:15 EDT 2010

HP requires its resellers to be authorized by HP before a reseller can
sell most HP systems/components. I'm not an HP reseller and so when I'm
looking at my distributor's pricing information, I can see the HP items,
but I'm not privy to most of the HP pricing. However, that being said,
there are numerous times when a particular HP item IS available to me to
resell. Anecdotally, I've noticed that the pricing assigned to those HP
items that ARE available to me are usually significantly higher cost. I
can't think of a single time when I've chosen an HP-branded component
over another manufacturer. I don't know the reason, nor have I really
cared enough to pursue the issue.

That being said, however, the HP branded equipment I see from HP
authorized resellers seems competitive enough in pricing. I've also had
experience in using various HP workstations over the years. In general,
when comparing a similarly-spec'ed business-class computer between Dell
and HP, I personally would be perfectly fine with either one with
regards to hardware quality.

I can't speak as to warranty issues for HP, but I do have a client with
200+ Dells that have needed various warranty work over the years. The
Dell warranty experience was reportedly very good every time.

In general, if your motherboard problems were with computers that all
used the same motherboard, then (it would be hard, but) I'd suggest
trying to not let it color your experience with that particular company
too overly much. Over the years, I've seen more than one otherwise very
good manufacturer be plagued by a bad run of motherboards in a
particular model of computer. Bad components, bad manufacturing process,
bad design, maybe even bad luck can really put an end-user off from a
particular manufacturer. Where, in the grand scheme of things, any other
component model from the same manufacturer would have been completely
reliable.

Switching manufacturers because of a bad run of identical computers may
not gain you anything. You could have easily had the same issues with
another manufacturer.

HOWEVER, if you've had considerable problems with various
_non-identical_ components from the same manufacturer, then I'd be more
tempted to jump ship. Also, having bad experiences with support would
definitely put me off the manufacturer.

...Just some thoughts on the matter. Hope they are useful.

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/