[OPLINTECH] Eval of HP or Dell

Kevin Puffer kpuffer at wcnet.org
Fri Oct 29 09:41:24 EDT 2010

Frank, et.al.

I purchase (as I'm sure you all do) the hardware that in my opinion will serve our library the
best OVERALL. Since the greatest cost of hardware is not the purchase, but in support and
maintenance, these factors weigh very heavily in my decision. I have had most major brands of
hardware introduced into my purview from various sources over my tenure as a Net Admin. for the
Wood County District PL, and I can say I have had very similar 'mean time between failure'
rates on them all, including Dell and HP. None are perfect (of course) and all have various
good an bad models. That being said however, I have had dramatic and consistent differences in
the way a company supports and/or rectifies these problems. To date, I have never had a Dell
problem addressed and resolved with anywhere near the ease and speed of a similar problem I
have had with HP hardware. The difference in my personal experience has been so consistent,
that I will not even consider Dell for purchase regardless of the price. Even though I have
Dell computers currently active in my library, for the past 6 years or so, I have been
purchasing HP hardware exclusively, and have been very satisfied with the level of service and
support from HP.

Just my opinion based on my experience; I know others have had dissimilar experiences.
KP