[OPLINTECH] Eval of HP or Dell

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu Oct 28 15:02:35 EDT 2010

Over the last 2-3 years I've been switching from HP to Dell and I guess the reason is that I'm getting a good price point on combo systems with 19" monitors and XP downgrades, and we haven't had any real service or support issues.
We're also starting to buy off-lease Dell laptops to circulate and ultra small form factor boxes for OPACs and self checks and have had good results even with two-year-old Dell computers.
I don't know if this means anything but for my "big" Goodwill project we have triaged over 500 Dell computers in the past 3 months and I'm constantly amazed that the biggest point of failure seems to be the hard drives. We have been able to reuse maybe 90% of the donations. And, I'll assume that they were donated because they are monster big compared to a laptop or a modern desktop not because they were DOA.
On the other hand, in the smaller Goodwill project, we're seeing a very, very large percentage of the corporate HP donations being rejected for bad caps or bad power supplies.

Bottom line I'm with Dell at least for this cycle.

Email me off list and I'll give you my vendor's contact info.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.