[OPLINTECH] Eval of HP or Dell

Bill Hardison bhardison at norweld.org
Thu Oct 28 15:03:30 EDT 2010

I would echo what Mr Neeper said, and add that whenever a batch of units are
purchased at the same time, it is likely they will have component parts that
were also purchased in a batch and unfortunately it can make it appear that
an entire line/model of computers are bad when it was just a single bad
batch.

I have had nearly a dozen years experience with Dell support. And,
overlooking a short outsourcing of support blunder a few years ago, the
support has been stellar.  Even when I may not have deserved it.  Most
recently Dell worked to solve a problem with a new model of laptop I
purchased for my own desk.  The online purchase details said it was capable
of supporting "up to 2 32" digital monitors"  I had 2 19" analog monitors
and thought "Cool I'll buy it"  That was in Feb. of '09. I could not get it
to use both monitors without an elaborate ritual that often took 30 mins to
execute (at boot up).  To shorten an already tedious story, Dell techs
worked with me replacing parts and on one occasion replaced everything
except the hard drive for 6 months, we all gave up and Dell replaced the
unit with a Precision Workstation, that offered the same monitor feature.
It was worse.  .After another couple of months one tech finally asked their
product placement/marketing folks why it wouldn't do what it said it would.
Their, answer... It never could do 2 analog monitors.  Needless to say I was
close to panic as I envisioned getting stuck with a laptop that wouldn't
allow me dual monitors, without an expensive purchase I had no approval to
make.  I was wrong.  Dell sent me 2 brand new 19" digital monitors.  I am
using them both as I type.

Someone told me I was WAY to patient, but in the end I got what I wanted + a
more powerful laptop + 2 new monitors, because Dell stuck it out with me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Bill

Bill Hardison
Computer Services Coordinator
Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)
419-352-2903
Yahoo - TechnobraryGeek
AOL - aTechnobraryGeek

*You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.*
Miracle Max: The Princess Bride (1987)