[OPLINTECH] Eval of HP or Dell

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Oct 28 15:46:15 EDT 2010

I think that either are good choices. I would look at how long you
expect to use them for then compare warranties to see which warranty
will carry you through the longest if a good warranty is mandatory. If
the warranty length and what it covers is not a big issue, (you plan on
fixing them when the hardware breaks) then I would look at the
availability of replacement parts, mainly power supplies, hard drives,
and on occasion a motherboard. Does the form factor change fast enough
that when you might need a new power supply or motherboard a few years
down the road that you can still buy one.

We use mainly Dell computers and have pretty good success with them for
reliability and service. I usually run into as they get older having
hard drives or power supplies fail on them. Hard drives and power
supplies can be purchased pretty reasonably, hard drives can be
purchased from about any vendor that sells them. Typically power
supplies I purchase through Dell since they are not a standard size
supply that would fit into a tower case which can be found locally.

We do have one HP desktop computer, 2 hp laptops, and 10 acer laptops.
One HP laptop and the acer laptops are about 4 years old or so. The
other HP laptop was purchased recently and the HP desktop is about 3
years old. All of them have been holding up well. I would have to say
our oldest machines we are using are 2 gates computers with windows 2000
on them. They are used for the kids games and they are both gateways
with Pentium 4 processors. I did replace the hard drive in one a fews
years ago.

--
Ed Liddle <eliddle at marysvillelib.org>
Marysville Public LIbrary