[OPLINTECH] SteadyState - no Win7

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Thu Sep 2 08:17:53 EDT 2010

<Snip>   I'll miss SteadyState not so much for the Disk Protection capability but as a tool for quickly configuring user privileges and security settings  </snip>

I saw this as a chance to give our patrons a more accessible computer. Because the computer requires only a reboot to return it to a configuration of our choosing, I was able to make it more user friendly. I did remove some things from the start menu and the desktop but, why worry about locking patrons out of things. If a computer is causing problems….just reboot it, problem fixed! The patron profile is just a standard user profile and they can’t do much to hurt it even without Deep Freeze.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Dan Will

Technology Supervisor

Meigs County District Public Library

 <mailto:willda at oplin.org> willda at oplin.org

740.992.5813

740.992.6140 (fax)

“When you are growing up there are two institutional places that affect you most powerfully:

the church that belongs to God and the public library that belongs to you.

The public library is the great equalizer.”

Keith Richards