[OPLINTECH] Imaging Software

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Tue Sep 14 08:25:15 EDT 2010

Mindy
I'll also assume you're talking about cloning computers not editing graphics so I'll jump on the Clonezilla bandwagon.
As I tell my Goodwill volunteers you just have to hit the enter key 13 times and answer 3 questions and you're done. Other useless info....I keep about 15 40-gig images on old 80-gig external hard drives and keep a master image file on a larger external hard drive in the event that a volunteer answers one of the questions incorrectly and I have to rebuild a drive.
It's worthy to note that there are 2 limitations to Clonezilla. One being that it does not automatically reset a drive so the recommended best practice is to create your original image on a drive small then the target, and setting up a Clonezilla server is a bit of a challenge.
For those of you have who not used it, here's an illustrated tutorial:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/free_imaging_software.html

I also have, on my home computer, a pretty simple tutorial on setting up a server. Email me if you want it and I'll send them out tonight.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.
Xenia Ohio 45385
(937)352-4000 x1210
mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.