[OPLINTECH] Bar Code Scanners

Dave Parvin dparvin at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Thu Aug 25 14:08:32 EDT 2011

Hello,

We are looking into acquiring bar code scanners which feature capabilities
for both scanning patron mobile devices as well as scanning regular
library materials checked in and out by our circulation desk.  Upon
talking to vendors about possible choices, we require a scanner that can
be operated both as a hand held and one that sets in a durable and stable
stand (most often left in the stand).  The vendor mentioned that more and
more libraries are interested in those featuring the extra capability of
scanning patron mobile devices such as cell phones and other such devices.

Have any of you had experience or knowledge of these devices in a
production environment?  If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages,
or if you have any additional insight it would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you for your kind assistance!

Sincerely,

Dave Parvin

Assistant Technology Coordinator