[OPLINTECH] Bar Code Scanners

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Aug 25 17:39:39 EDT 2011

Since the topic came up, a few days ago I installed CardStar onto my
Samsung Infuse 4G SGH-I997 running Android v2.2.1 (AT&T). I then loaded
CardStar up with a (standard Code 3 of 9, no check digit) barcode from
one of my libraries. Predictably, scanning the phone's nice big and
clear display with a good laser scanner that I use in my office did NOT
work. I doubt that most laser scanners would successfully scan barcodes
from any sort of electronic display. (Definitely interested to hear any
experiences proving me wrong on that theory.)

I DID have luck scanning the barcode with an old Opticon CCD scanner. It
worked quite well. What surprised me, however, was that an identical
Opticon scanner at the same library configured the same way...didn't
read the barcode. I had expected that the second scanner would work as
well as the first did.

I suppose the moral of the story here is...even if you find a barcode
scanner that the manufacturer has put specific effort into reading
electronically-imaged barcodes displayed on last month's portable device
displays, there is absolutely no guarantee that your investment will
work with next month's phones. I suspect we're too early into the
marriage of the two technologies to have any sort of high degree of
continued compatibility between portable devices and scanners. That
being said, I think you may actually get more information from any
support forums that exist specifically for these CardStar-type of apps.
If you're putting money down for new scanners with these capabilities,
it's probably worth tapping into the people that are trying really hard
to use the apps wherever they can.

The CardStar support FAQ has some very useful general information:
http://www.mycardstar.com/support.html

Most relevant to your search is the comment to the effect that CCD
scanners seem to work more reliably that laser scanners.

Final note:  Based on the above FAQ, I just now tried some of the
techniques for scanning with a laser scanner. I found that when I
removed the screen protector from my phone the laser light reflected
quite nicely from the phone in all sorts of different directions, where
it did not do so with the screen protector in place. That fact alone
would cause me to specifically NOT recommend buy a laser scanner, even
if proven reliable with portable electronic devices. Unless you like
being sued by laser eye-damaged patrons, stick with CCDs!!!

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/