[OPLINTECH] techsoup software

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Feb 9 14:40:44 EST 2011

I don't think it's available via Techsoup, but I believe Diskeeper has
remote defragging capability in it more expensive versions. I've only
used the cheaper versions, myself.

For remote capabilities, I use a flavor of VNC (TightVNC, specifically)
to remote the desktops and to transfer files/folders directly to the
remote computer.

Clonezilla for me, too, combined with PXE network boot and a TFTP
server. That is, I have a TFTP server set up with multiple boot images,
including Clonezilla. On a computer even with no local OS, I can boot
PXE and get a menu of boot options to choose from:

*  Please select a boot image:
*
*  bootfd0              Boot from floppy drive 0
*  boothd0              Boot from local hard drive 0.
*  boothd1              Boot from local hard drive 1.
*  clonezilla           Start Clonezilla.
*  freedos              Start FreeDOS
*  memtest              Start Memtest86+
*  spinrite             Start Spinrite running on FreeDOS
*  sysrcd               Start the System Rescue CD.
*  thin                 Start ThinStation remote desktop.
*
*
*  Default (press ENTER or wait 60 seconds):  boothd0

(It was just easier to cut 'n paste!)

As I find other useful tools I can use via PXE, I incorporate them. That
way, whether I need to test a computer's hard drive (Spinrite) or memory
(memtest86+), blast down an image (Clonezilla), or repair Windows from
outside of Windows by booting into Linux (System Rescue CD)...I'm
covered. It's all FOSS, except for Spinrite. You have to buy that one,
but it can be worth it's weight in gold for recovering hard drives. (Bad
analogy, I suppose, considering software doesn't really weigh much these
days. But you get the idea!)

hth,

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/