[OPLINTECH] circulating ipads

Marlene Pelyhes mpl_marlenep at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 21:52:50 EST 2011

Hi James,

Mentor Public started circulating two ipads in May 2010.  We started with
in-house circulation - but the usage was low, so we decided to circulate them for 3 day overnight loans.  So far, it has worked out fine - noone has damaged or stolen them.  The library has a Patron Agreement that gets filled out with each check out.

At first, we set the ipad Settings with restrictions that prevented users from loading apps.  But we have lifted that.  It does not matter what they load onto it because upon checkin our staff connect the ipad to a computer that is associated with an iTunes account and Restore the ipad to factory settings, and then copy over the apps and ibooks.  The iTunes account is associated with an iTunes card instead of a credit card - so if they somehow  crack our password - the most they will get is what is left on the iTunes card.

There are 3 pages of apps and several pages of free iBooks.  I keep an eye out for the most popular apps and add those.  Currently the patrons like StarWalk - patrons can hold the ipad up to the sky and it displays the constellations and planets as they walk.

I can't see any easier way to sanitize the ipads between circ other than Restore - the apps are all independent so staff would need to go into to each of them to reset them.  The checkin and recharge process takes 45 minutes to an hour.  We circulate the charging cable and secure the ipad in a zipper Trapper Keeper with a 3 ring binder which holds the ipad manual (we printed off the Apple site).  We put the ipad in a leather case and secured a thin film on the ipad surface to cut down on possible scratching.

I can email our procedures, agreement, policy if you like,

Marlene Pelyhes
IT Manager
Mentor Public Library