[OPLINTECH] Wireless upgrade

Joe Knueven knuevejo at oplin.org
Mon Jan 24 14:29:53 EST 2011

Perhaps this would not be of use in your situation, but from my
experience I would suggest getting inexpensive routers that you can
flash with dd-wrt.

Using two separate access points, we are able to change the power output
of each access point, have them share a single SSID and set time based
access restrictions.  If we were so inclined, we could have them handout
ip addresses, redirect people to an authentication web page, perform NAT
port forwarding, QoS prioritizing.  It even looks like you could block
http traffic by URL or keyword.  It looks like you might also be able to
use a virtual interfaces feature in dd-wrt to have an ordinary router
separate your public and staff traffic, but I am not certain how
involved it would be to set this up or how well it works..

On the whole, it seems to turn a relatively inexpensive router into the
swiss army knife of routers..
(we paid $40 each for our two Rosewill RNX-GX4's.  They are only b/g,
but we decided that for the cost, there was very little people could do
with wireless n, considering the speed of our internet connection..)

If you think you would want to consider going this route, I know there
is more info and a database of supported routers at dd-wrt.com..

Best of luck.

Joe

Joseph Knueven