[OPLINTECH] Patron use of Public computers

Jim Lack J.Lack at rrpl.org
Fri Jul 8 10:53:55 EDT 2011

Does anyone allow their patrons to load software on the their public computers?  We are putting together a new Windows 7 profile for our Public computers.  The profile is a mandatory profile in a Windows server 2008 environment.  We will be implementing Deep Freeze as well.  We have done some initial testing with allowing this user to load software.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Some installs require the user to have admin privileges and some installs require reboots.  There is no way I want to give this user admin privileges and with Deep Freeze, that takes care of installs that require a reboot (it wipes them out!).  Looking for some input here.  Please give me your thoughts and ideas on this subject.

TIA,

Jim Lack
Network Manager
Rocky River Public Library