[OPLINTECH] GCPL: Google + invites?

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Wed Jul 13 10:33:27 EDT 2011

Slightly off topic.

I am wondering how folks are currently feeling about Google and their
handling of privacy.  Due to a number of blunders my faith in Google is at
an all-time low and I'm really dreading having to familiarize myself with
this social application just to stay current.  Am I being unfair to Google?
Am I just being an old fogey at the age of 34?

For anyone curious, this is what I'm referring to:

-Ex-Google CEO says, "If you have something that you don't want anyone to
know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

-Google Buzz launches (Facebook Competitor) and anyone with a Google account
automatically gets opted into it, and their gmail status set to public.

-Anyone with an android phone would have noticed some troubling issues as
well, I imagine.  Mine shoved all my Facebook friends into my phone
contacts, so I have 150 cell phone numbers I just couldn't care less about
(and have to wade through to make actual calls).

Travis McAfee

Systems Administrator

Way Public Library

101 E. Indiana Ave.