[OPLINTECH] Skype and videoconferencing policies (repost from the Feb. 15 posting on OPLINList)

Shelley Bylica bylicash at oplin.org
Tue Mar 1 18:31:22 EST 2011

Eric,

You have a very good point. I didn't think about video cell phones, but that
is probably something that might become reality. Especially for deaf people
who sign.

Those in areas that are a little more affluent and/or with frequent out
-of-state travelers may have to think about Videoconferencing policies
sooner than in 2-3 years. When I bought a laptop personally just over 3
years ago, about half of all the laptops which were available for purchase
at the time came with webcams already built in. But point made: patrons may
be Skyping in our libraries already.  It might be worth the time to think
about it now so that we have time to formulate a response rather than react
when we finally "see" it.

So it now looks like a hybrid policy issue that touches upon: current cell
phone use, current laptop use, Meeting room, general meeting policies, AND
(one that I don't think has been touched upon yet) taking pictures inside
the library and patrons respecting each other's privacy, etc. Anyone have
any other ideas before I put this thread to rest?

Shelley B.

Shelley Bylica

Public Services Librarian,

Marvin Memorial Library