[OPLINTECH] card readers for public

Phil Shirley pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Wed Nov 30 11:20:34 EST 2011

Our public computers are Dell OptiPlex 960s with a built-in "9-in-1"
memory card reader. I've seen only one problem in the two or so years
that we've had them, where a patron put her memory card into the wrong
slot; I think I was able to get it out without too much trouble. I'm
kind of surprised that we haven't had more problems because I often used
to find our golf pencils and all sorts of other things jammed into the
floppy disc drives.

I don't know how often people use memory sticks in our computers, but we
used to have a few people wanting something like this.

The Dell 9-in-1 drive fits in the slot where a floppy drive would go and
has 4 slots which can take these kinds of cards:

SM (SmartMedia)
xD Picture Card
CF (Compact Flash)
MD (Microdrive)
SD and miniSD (Secure Digital)
MMC (MultiMediaCard) and RS-MMC (Reduced-Size MMC)
MS, MS-PRO, MS-Duo (Memory Stick)

Phil

On 11/29/2011 2:52 PM, Kevin Jones wrote:
> We are about to purchase new patron computers at Coshocton Public
> Library.  I was thinking about offering a drive that would read multiple
> types of cards.  Is anyone offering card readers for their patrons?  If
> so what kind of support issues have you seen and was it worth the hassle?
>
> Also, what manufacturers and/or models would you recommend?
>
> Kevin Jones
> Network Administrator
> Coshocton Public Library
> 655 Main Street
> Coshocton, OH 43812
> Phone: 740-622-0956
> Fax: 740-622-4331
> http://www.coshoctonlibrary.org
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
330-928-2117, ext. 109
pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary dot org

believed to be clean.