[OPLINTECH] Virtualization

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Oct 24 11:35:28 EDT 2011

I've been using virtual servers so long I can't even remember exactly
when I started. I think it must have been around 1999-2000 or so. I do
remember that I was using VMware _Workstation_ back in its earliest
versions, before VMWare was offering a real server-class virtualization
platform. As long as the operating system you're trying to run is a
supported guest OS on your hypervisor, then I wouldn't expect any
problems running your programs in a VM. I've virtualized EVERYTHING and
haven't built a dedicated server since I started virtualizing. The
benefits, in my clients' cases, greatly outweigh any negatives.
Naturally, you have to abide by any limitations of the hypervisor you're
using. I've been using VMware since the get-go and have had great
success. As long as they continue to provide a free (or at least, very
low-cost) high-quality server-class hypervisor, I'll stick with VMware.

The only application that I don't virtualize is the backup strategy. I
tend to set that up on an older computer that has been cycled out of
heavy use. However, that being said, even tape backup strategies have
been virtualized by others, I understand. It's just my own personal
preference not to virtualize that (so far).

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/