[OPLINTECH] Staff Computer Protection?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Aug 23 18:40:11 EDT 2012

This (http://www.av-comparatives.org) site may be of interest to you. It's
an independent organization that compares the various AV software out there
and periodically produces a rankings report. It's been a year or two since
I last looked at the rankings, but at that time the biggest commercial
enterprise level (with a central command console) AV software pretty much
all ranked about the same. None really stood out in detection rankings.
Might be a good resource for you to reference.

Also, if you're having problems and if you don't customize your scan
settings, you might consider reviewing them. The defaults for SEP (and
probably others) aren't necessarily providing the best protection. I
usually tighten SEP up quite a bit after installation as a matter of course.

Chad

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Michael Vollmar-Grone
<vollmami at oplin.org>wrote:

>  Any additional recommendations for staff computers?
> I have a couple that seem to have low resistance to viruses, et. al.
> SEP doesn't provide enough inoculation...or so they say.
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Michael Vollmar-Grone
> Director of Technical Services
> Shelby County Libraries
> 230 East North Street
> Sidney, OH 45365(937) 492-6851 x.119http://shelbyco.lib.oh.us/http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shelby-County-Libraries/103538796360092vollmami@oplin.org
>
> That being said, however....it DOES work well enough. Good enough for a
> Frozen patron computer. Not good enough for a staff computer, though,
> IMO. (I had just hoped for more obvious aggressive development.) I've
> been sticking with Symantec Endpoint Protection (from Techsoup) for the
> staff computers and mostly Immunet/Spybot/Deep Freeze on the patron
> computers. Immunet catches some of the viruses. Spybot's Immunize
> feature and Resident feature watch for general malware, and Deep Freeze
> is the ultimate protector.
>
> Chad
>

> --

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*