[OPLINTECH] Internet Explorer kiosk mode stumper

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Aug 30 14:08:42 EDT 2012

I'm actually working to provide an alternate solution for a PXE remote
booted ThinStation 2.x distro which went straight to Firefox with no
desktop. It works fairly well as a kiosk, but isn't really particularly
configurable without doing a whole new TS build with the newest version
(for which they haven't yet gotten around to providing binaries for). The
fonts and font sizes aren't working out too well for the library patrons
and I can't adjust without doing a build from scratch...something I'm not
up for right now.

So, using the software already available, I thought I'd try a different
route...something equally (more) locked down, but something I have easy and
nearly complete control over via GP/GPP.

At SLO, it sounds like you're using the default Explorer shell, maybe
locking it down a bit via GP and enforcing the configuration through
mandatory profiles. For this application, I was trying to reduce the attack
surface by using IE as the shell. I took care of history & favorites in
policies; history isn't retained, and even if it was, it would only ever
show the single web site the kiosk is limited to...the library's catalog.
This configuration *should* be simpler to implement/configure and more
secure. I think I've gotten where I want to be except for this single issue
that there doesn't seem to be a policy or reg hack for (at least at the
user policy/profile level).

I may take you up on the RSOP, though. Thank you. I may get back with you
later on that.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*