[OPLINTECH] Internet Explorer kiosk mode stumper

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Aug 30 14:36:28 EDT 2012

Travis --

I used to use PWB too. I agree; it most likely can do most/all of what I
want. (Just for kicks, though, you might try pressing CTRL-J and/or CTRL-H
in PWB and see what happens. PWB uses IE's WebBrowser control, but the GUI
is custom. It might be fine; I don't have a copy handy so can't test it.)
However, I can entirely lock down IE to just a main browser window and
NOTHING else using group policies and a couple of registry tweaks...readily
available on every copy of windows.

I'm keen to get this solution nailed down because it's nothing more than a
set of group policies. I can export/import them and have it running within
minutes at any other library where we need a catalog-only kiosk. It would
be a no-cost/no-time solution to all of my other libraries from this point
on. ...More time then available to work on the next useful thing.

The Caveman Approach:  Offline, someone else suggested cutting the traces
off the boards in the keyboards to disable the CTRL (and ALT) keys. A
pencil eraser would make that reversible. But neither translates well to
being a no-cost/no-time transferable solution I can implement at other
libraries. ...So good thought...but no.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*