[OPLINTECH] stolen laptop recovery success story and tips

Chip Kruthoffer c.kruthoffer at lanepl.org
Fri Feb 3 10:05:26 EST 2012

We circulate laptops for in-library use at one of our locations, chiefly
due to a lack of space for more workstations there. Unfortunately, around
the holidays we experienced a rash of
thefts<http://www.journal-news.com/news/crime/laptops-reported-stolen-from-library-1310178.html>.
Despite the requirement that we hold their driver's licenses, we lost 3
Dell Vostros in a series of days. We have been circulating these at this
location since 2008 without any incidents like this, so this was new to us.

We realize now that we could have been a little better prepared, so I
wanted to share a couple of things we have done. I am happy to report that
we have recovered 2 of the 3 machines as of Feb.2, and we have a bead on
the third one.

Shortly after the computers were stolen, we realized that because we
had LogMeIn
Free <https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/> installed on them, we
could still connect to them whenever they were connected to the Internet.
Changing a few default settings, we could connect without too much risk of
detection. We use LogMeIn Central<https://secure.logmein.com/products/central/>[
coupon <http://www.retailmenot.com/view/logmein.com>] in conjunction with
LMI Free, but any remote control option would serve the same purpose as LMI
Free.

Once connected, we were able to install Prey <http://preyproject.com/>,
which automates the tracking process and provides a bunch of additional
functionality, including geo-info the police can use to pay your thief a
visit. The vendor offers steep educational discounts. It is already
inexpensive anyway, considering the value of the items you'll be protecting
with it.

If anyone has dealt with, or is dealing with, a similar situation, I'd be
glad to compare notes off-list. I just wanted to mention Prey here in
particular.

Chip Kruthoffer, Systems Manager
Lane Libraries ~ http://www.lanepl.org
1396 University Blvd. (Admin. Center)