[OPLINTECH] Pay Phones

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Wed Feb 29 11:38:42 EST 2012

I agree with Bob's solution, and I know that is what we do here if the
public needs to make a phone call.  The other nice thing is that we have
switched over to an internet based phone system, so we can allow them to
make long distance calls as well for no additional cost.

One thing that came to mind, if you did want to keep the public courtesy
phone type option, is to sign up for a VOIP service and just have an
ordinary phone sitting out.  The secret would be finding a service where
by the user (ie the library) has the ability to place limitations on who
you can call (such as the US & Canada only, or whatever their service
can call for free).  Then you could use a cheap analog phone, cheap
analog adapter and a relatively inexpensive service..

For instance, a magicjack plus would cost about $70, the service costs
$30 per year, and it looks like you have to pre-pay on the account to
make international calls (so I'd imagine it won't let you just do it),
and any internet connection you have is more than fast enough to support
it.

I don't know if having a free courtesy phone would be an issue anywhere,
(do pay phones cut you off after a while?  I've never used one for more
than a minute or 2..) but $30 per year I imagine is more affordable than
any pay phone solution..

Just a thought.

Best of luck.

Joe