[OPLINTECH] Utility for session logoffs

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jan 12 16:27:54 EST 2012

In addition to the other posted solutions, you might be able to make
good use of the Windows Task Scheduler. Especially in Vista/7, the
capabilities of tasks have been expanded. If you go the logon/logoff
route, you could fairly easily set up a task that executes a log off
exactly 15 minutes after logon (ie. execute at login with a 15 minute
delay), with a secondary execution trigger of x minutes of inactivity.
You could also define a task that executes 14 minutes after login to
warn the user of the impending auto-logout.

I sometimes set up a similar task that executes at the end of each day
to auto-shut down the computers at closing, with 10, 5, and then 1
minute warnings. Sometimes the patrons don't like it when the staff say
it's time to leave. The task eliminates that uncomfortable moment for
the staff.

Once upon a time I had a WinXP task set up to auto-reboot the patron
computers after an hour of inactivity just as an extra bid to help
protect patrons' privacy (Deep Freeze did the rest).

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/