[OPLINTECH] iPad management

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Wed Aug 21 19:40:48 EDT 2013

Is the configurator part of SERVER? I run Lion Server on a macMini at home. (it was a more robust machine for the money, for the Mrs.)

I know that there is part of SERVER that will create a managed configuration for iPads (and for most other computers/devices) and makes the management a snap.

I'm going to check into a demo from an Apple Rep.

I believe Apple would L-O-V-E to crack the library tech market. I've managed school technology for 30+ years, and it's only now I've heard about Deep Freeze, and I am not having a good time with it. Give me Apple Remote Desktop anyday. (especially when I'm creating the P.O. for annual maintenance)

Tim

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Mann, James H. <JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
> wrote:****
>
> Guys****
>
> GCPL is currently circulating some 50 iPads.****
>
> Each of our seven locations has:****
>
> 1. A MacBook pro****
>
> 2. A Griffin multi-dock charging/sync station or Griffin 5-bay
> power station.****
>
> 3. 5 to 10 iPads****
>
> 4. 5 to 10 Otterbox cases****
>
> The iPads are setup using a combination of the Apple configurator tool and
> iTunes to hold about 40 apps. You?ll note that the investment in a large
> branch (10 iPads) is about $7,500. As you know libraries only get a very
> small discount from Apple through large resellers like CDW-G. What has
> sometimes come up as a problem is that you need a credit card to create an
> ITunes account and smaller libraries often don?t have ?corporate? credit
> cards.****
>
> The iPads circulate in-house for two hours using the circulation system
> (no PCRes or whatever) and the same loan rules as our laptops.****
>
> When the iPad is returned it is placed in the charging stand and reset to
> factory settings and re sync?d with iTunes. Using the most recent version
> of the configurator simplifies this process by just restoring from an
> image. Elapsed time between uses about 5 minutes.****
>
> This has been a very quiet rollout with lots of time devoted to staff
> training. But, with school starting we expect demand to increase.****
>
> Although we have a variety of ?tablets? we?re using them for staff
> training and not circulating them because I haven?t found an equally
> efficient way to restore and re-sync them between uses.****
>

> *On Behalf Of *Stephen Cram
> *Sent:* Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:03 PM
> *To:* Oplin Tech list
> *Subject:* [OPLINTECH] Question about iPads and/or Tablets****
>
> ****
>
> We have recently been given a cash memorial and the staff would like to
> purchase either iPads or Tablets for patorn use In house.****
>
> Would like suggestions about how these are used in other libraries.****
>
> ****
>
> I guess my main concern is them growing legs and walking out the door. ***
> *
>
> I'm not as concerned with downloads as these can be reset to factory
> settings fairly easily. ****
>
> If you have iPads or Tablets, what are your experiences and rules of use?*
> ***
>
> ****
>
> Thanks in advance for your time,****
>
> ****